We're here to help keep things on-track.
Your success is our success. Think of The Commonwealth of Virginia as a partner in all of your business efforts.
Remember that taxes paid by businesses and individuals are what pays for our schools, public safety, parks, libraries, etc..
- Taxes are collected at the Federal, state, and locallevels.
- Learn about the Sales Tax Electronic Filing Requirement.
- Check out the new Exemptions for tech businesses.
- Highly-skilled workers are available through cost-saving apprenticeships.
- Virginia is a right-to-work state and recognize at-will employment. Learn more about what this means for you.
- Find quick links; go here for the authoritative reference on employment in Virginia.
- If you hire three or more employees, be aware of the requirements for workers' compensation.
- You need to have a withholding and unemployment tax account in the name of each employee you hire.or by phone, 804-367-8037.
Even if your company isn't planning dramatic expansion, thinking in terms of expansion can be very helpful to daily operations and being successful in changing economic conditions. Review the "Expanding" section of this site.
You've probably seen these posters in break rooms or other public places for all employees to see.
- Get a listingof all federal and state posters that employers are required to post visible to employees.
Counseling and Other Resources
Cutting Cost, Lowering Overhead, Increasing Efficiency, Keeping Books, and more!
- Do you have a website set up? Virginia businesses can set one up at no cost.
- One-on-one business counseling available.
- Business counseling from retired executives.
- Federal small business information and guidanceas well as a broad portal for business resources.
- Virginia offers financial assistance through a broad portfolio of options.
- Specific programs for small, woman-owned, or minority-owned businesses.
- Agribusiness-specific help for product-to-market and specialty products.
- Help with local, state, or federal environmental issues within Virginia.
- Green energy incentives are available, broken down by industry and type.